DSc in Philology, corresponding member of RAS (since 2006), Professor, Director of Research at IWL RAS
Education: graduated from the Department of Russian Language and Literature of the A.I. Herzen Leningrad State Pedagogical University (1980)
PhD thesis in history:
Domestic Utensils in Polesie Beliefs and Rituals (Nineteenth – the beginning of the Twentieth Centuries) (1986, N.N. Mikluho-Malkay Ethnography Institute, AS USSR)
DSc (Habil.) thesis in philology:
The Theory of Myth in Russian Nineteenth Century Philology (1998, IWL RAS)
Research interests: folklore, Russian literature, history of philology, Slavic ethnography.
Member of the National Committee of Slavists
Member of the Committee on Folklore Studies at the National Committee of Slavists
Member of the Committee on Charms, Charmers and Charming, at the International Society for Folk Narrative Research (ISFNR)
Head of the Editorial Board of the book series “‘Eternal’ Plots and Images”
Member of the Editorial Boards of the following journals: Studia Litterarum, Literaturni Fakt, Russkaya Literatura, Incantatio.
Awards and distinctions
2008 – Winner of the first prize of the P.G. Bogatirev Competition of folklore studies for the book Charms in Russian Manuscript Tradition of the Fifteenth-Nineteenth Centuries. Moscow: Indrik Publ., 2005.
Academic publications — over 540 publications, including 6 monographs.
- East Slavic Charms: Materials for the Functional Reference of Plots and Motifs. Annotated Bibliography. Moscow: Indrik Publ., 2014 (co-authored with Tatyana A. Agapkina). In Russ.
- Sources of the “Tale of Prince Svetomir” by Vyach. Ivanov: Ancient and Medieval Scholarship and Folklore. Moscow: Indrik Publ., In Russ.
- Russian Charms from Manuscript Sources, Seventeenth – First Half of the Nineteenth Centuries. Moscow: Indrik Publ., 2010. In Russ.
- Charms in Russian Manuscript Tradition of the Fifteenth-Nineteenth Centuries. Moscow: Indrik Publ., 2005. In Russ.
- The Theory of Myth in Russian Nineteenth Century Philology. Мoscow: Indrik Publ., 1997. In Russ.
- At the Sources of Etiquette. Ethnographic Essays. Leningrad: Nauka Publ., 1990. (co-authored with A.K. Baiburin) In Russ.
Edited collections and works (selected)
- Sisinieva Legend in Folklore and Manuscript Traditions of the Middle East, Balcans and Eastern Europe. Ed. A.L. Toporkov. Мoscow: Indrik Publ., 2017. In Russ.
- Unknown Pages of Russian Study of Folklore. A.L. Toporkov. Мoscow: Indrik Publ., 2015. In Russ.
- “Eternal” Plots and Images in Literature and Art of Russian Modernism. A.L. Toporkov. Мoscow: Indrik Publ., 2015. In Russ.
- Vyacheslav Ivanov. Tale of Prince Svetomir. Eds. A.L. Toporkov, O.L. Fetisenko, A.B. Shishkin. Moscow: Ladomir, Nauka, 2015. In Russ.
- Oral Charms in Structural and Comparative Light. Proceedings of the Con-ference of the International Society for Folk Narrative Research’s (ISFNR) Committee on Charms, Charmers and Charming. 27–29th October 2011, Moscow / Editors: Tatyana A. Mikhailova, Jonathan Roper, Andrey L. Toporkov, Dmitry S. Nikolayev. Moscow, Probel-2000 Publ., 2011. In Russ.
- Russian Folklorists: a Biobibliographical Guide. Т. G. Ivanova and A.L. Toporkov. Мoscow: Probel-2000, 2010. In Russ.
- Polesie Charms (in the Records of the 1970s–1990s). Eds. Т.А. Аgapkina, Е.Е. Levkievskaya, А.L. Toporkov. Мoscow: Indrik Publ., 2003. In Russ.
- The Non-Existent Manuscripts. Forgery in Slavic Folklore. Eds. A.L. Toporkov, T.G. Ivanova, L.P. Lapteva, E.E. Levkievskaya. Moscow: Ladomir, In Russ.
- Eros and Pornography in Russian Culture. M. Levitt and A.L. Toporkov. Moscow: Ladomir, 1999. In Russ.
- “Vyacheslav Ivanov's ‘Tale of Prince Svetomir’ and ‘Tale of Kulikovo.’” Russkaya Literatura. 2011, no 4. P. 111– In Russ.
- “Verbal Charms Against Authorities and Judges in Seventeenth- and Eighteenth-Century Russia.” Russian History. 2013, vol. 40. P. 532–539 (Witchcraft Casebook: Magic in Russia, Ukraine, Poland, and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, 15th-21st Centuries). In Russ.
- “Charm Indexes: Problems and Perspectives.” In The Power of Words: Studies on Charms and Charming in Europe. Eds. James Kapaló, Éva Pócs and William Ryan. Budapest, New York: Central European University Press, 2013. P. 71–99 (co-authored with T. Agapkina). In English.
- “New research on Old Russian Visual Demonology. New Literary Review. 2014, vol. 128. P. 351–357. In Russ.
- “Religious Poems in the Russian Literature of the First Third of the Twentieth century.” Russkaya Literatura. 2015, no 1. P. 5– In Russ.
- “А. А. Blok’s Poem ‘The Queen Was Looking at the Vignettes’ and the Spiritual Poem about the Dove Book (co-authored with D. M. Magomedova).” Russkaya Literatura. 2015, no 2. P. 192–203. In Russ.
- “On Symbolism and Functions of Dreams In Vyacheslav Ivanov’s ‘Tale of Prince Svetomir.’” Rossiiskaya Akademiya Nauk. Izvestiya. Seriya Literatury i Yazyka [Bulletin of RAS: Studies in Literature and Language]. 2015, vol. 74, no 4. P. 17–34. In Russ.
- “Folklore Studies in Interdisciplinary Dialogue” In The works of Historical-Philological Sciences of RAS. V.A. Tishkov. Мoscow, 2016. P. 23–41. In Russ.
- “Martial Charms from the Novel And Quiet Flows the Don: Sources, Structure, Functions.” SHOLOKHOV’S WORLD. Scientific and Educational National Journal. 2016, no 1 (5). Р. 7–40. In Russ.
- “The Early Articles by Viktor B. Shklovsky and the School book The Russian Oral Literature by Mikhail N. Speransky.” Rossiiskaya Akademiya Nauk. Izvestiya. Seriya Literatury i Yazyka [Bulletin of RAS: Studies in Literature and Language]. 2016, v 75, no 2. Р. 60–65. In Russ.
Professor at the Russian State University for the Humanities