DSc in Philology, Corresponding member of RAS (since October 2016)
Director of Research at IWL RAS.
Education: graduated from the Chair of Roman and German Philology, Philology Department, Lomonosov Moscow State University (1973)
The Problem of Time in Dante’s Divine Comedy (1977)
Dsc (Habil.) thesis:
The Origins of Medieval European Drama (1992)
Research interests: history of Italian, French, Spanish, and British literature, comparative studies, historical poetics, literary theory, culture studies
Editor-in-Chief and one of the leading authors of the multi-volume History of Italian Literature
Member of the Renaissance committee at the Academic Counsel on World Culture, RAS
Member of the Editorial Board of the series Literaturnie Pamyatniki [Literary Works]
Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Studia Letterarum
Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Voprosi Literaturi
Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Letteratura italiana antica (Rome)
Member of the Editorial Counsel of the journal Italianistica (Pisa)
Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Russkaya literatura (St. Petersburg)
Awards and distinctions
Winner of the Gogol award in Italy (2012)
Honored member of the Italian Dante Society (2010)
Winner of the Flaiano award in Italian Studies (2008)
Academic publications — over 250 publications, including 6 monographs.
- Farce, Comedy, Tragicomedy. Essays on the Historical Poetics of Dramatic Genres. Moscow, Delo Publ., 2017. In Russ.
- Classic European Comedy: Structure and Forms. Moscow, RSUH Press Publ., 2011. In Russ.
- Italian Literature. Topics and Characters. Moscow, RSUH Press Publ., 2008. In Russ.
- Chivalric Romance in the Early Modern Time. Moscow, Nauka-Nasledie Publ., 1993. In Russ.
- Medieval European Drama. Origins and Development (Tenth-Eighteenth Centuries). Moscow, Iskusstvo Publ., 1989. In Russ.
- Italian Literature of Mid- and Late Renaissance. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1988. (Co-authored with R.I. Khlodkovsky). In Russ.
Selected edited collections
- “Double Crown”. Medieval Epos and Drama in Latin in Gasparov’s Translations. Moscow, RSUH Press Publ., 2012. In Russ.
- A Song of the Crusades among Albigenses. Moscow, Ladomir Publ., In Russ.
- Man – Culture –History. In Honor of L.M. Batkin’s 70-year Anniversary. Moscow, RSUH Press Publ., 2002. In Russ.
- History of Italian Literature. Moscow, Nasledie, IWL RAS Publ., 2000–2012. Vols. 1–3. In Russ.
- “The Coffee Shop by Carlo Goldoni in A.N. Ostrovsky’s translation.” Shagi / Steps, vol. 6, no. 3, 2020, pp. 9–17. In Russ.
- “Goldoni in the Translation of Amfiteatrov’s Family.” Studia litterarum, vol. 5, no, 2, 2020, pp. 56–67. In Russ.
“Discoveries of ‛The Decameron’.” G. Boccaccio. The Decameron, vol. III, book 2. Мoscow, Ladomir Publ., 2019, pp. 591–724. In Russ.
- “Two Russian Decamerons.” Shagi / Steps, vol. 5, no, 3, 2019, pp. 38–50. In Russ.
- “Dramas by Pirandello in the History of the Genre.” Dialog so vremenem, no. 67, 2019, pp. 291–298. In Russ.
- “Come sono fatte le tragicommedie di Goldoni.” Letteratura italiana antica. Rivista annuale di testi e studi. Anno XX. Pisa, Roma, Fabrizio Serra ed., 2019, pp. 605–611. In Italian
“Dante, Petrarch, Torquato Tasso: the Topos of an ‛Exile Poet’.” Dialog so vremenem, no. 62, 2018, pp. 359–365. In Russ.
- “L’unità narrativa nell’Orlando Furioso.” Italianistica, vol. 44, no. 1, 2015, pp. 61–72. In Italian
- “Tragicomedies of Carlo Goldoni.” Studia litterarum, vol. 1, no. 3–4, 2016, pp. 70–81. In Russ.
- “The Plots of the Farce.” Vestnik RGGU, no. 6 (15), 2016, pp. 120–135. In Russ.
- “Foreign Literature: What and Why Do We Study?” Proceedings of the Department of History and Philology RAS-2015. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 2016, pp. 18–22. In Russ.
- “Five Types of Classical Comedy.” Voprosy literatury, no. 2, 2016, pp. 190–220. In Russ.
- “М.L. Gasparov as Ariosto’s Translator.” Voprosy literatury, no. 5, 2015, pp. 25–31. In Russ.
- “About One Half-Presence in the World of Laughter of Bakhtian Rabelais.” Voprosy literatury, no. 6, 2015, pp. 211–218. In Russ.
- “Il Rinascimento italiano come specchio del nichilismo russo.” Rinascimento e antirinascimento. Firenze nella cultura russa fra Otto e Novecento, a cura di L.Tonini. Firenze, Leo S. Olschki, 2012, pp. 45–51. In Italian
- “Dante in Russia.” Rivista di poesia comparata, vol. 1, no. XXXVI, 2007, pp. 29–31. In Italian
- “Il personaggio e l’intreccio nel teatro di Ostrovskij.” Il personaggio in letteratura. Napoli, Edizioni scientifiche italiane, 2004, pp. 233–239. In Italian
- “Il romanzo cavalleresco nel Rinascimento.” Esperienze letterarie, no. 1, 1994, pp. 3–13. In Italian
- “La struttura del ‛Filocolo’.” Cultura meridionale e letteratura italiana. I modelli narrativi dell'età moderna. Napoli, Loffredo, 1985, pp. 39–50. In Italian
- “Il primo Rinascimento italiano nella critica sovietica degli anni 1960–1970.” Il Rinascimento. Aspetti e problemi attuali. Firenze, Leo S. Olschki, 1982, pp. 185–194. In Italian
1994–2010 — lecture courses “Renaissance Culture” and “History of Italian Literature” at the Historico-Philological Department of the Russian State University for the Humanities (RSUH).
Invited lectures at the universities of Venice, Losanna, Naples, Trento, Urbino, and Warsaw.
Feb. 9-10, 2011 two lectures “Ascent to Dante” at the TV channel “Culture” (Academia series).